Friday, September 10, 2010

Opposing Humility

So I made a few mistakes installing the garage door. You know, the job a homeowner, DIYer, whomever, should never do themselves.
  • "It's the largest moving object in your home."
  • "It's under extreme tension--you could be killed."

Well, I did it last year, and it works just fine. Okay, maybe it's a little off center, but I followed all of the directions, and so far so good. So when the time came to save a thousand dollars or so on installation, I drove the truck over to Menards and bought the doors and openers. Got the old on down (which lasted about a couple hours on the curb before the scrappers took it away--solid steel, you know). Got the new one up, torsion spring set (okay, it's the EZSet© kind), tested the lift on the door; all was well. Got to installing the opener--open and close distance--both fine. Got to setting the open and close force...uh oh...

After a few cycles...grinding, hesitation, *BAM* cables start jumping. Oh crap.

Well life got in the way, so I came back to it after a couple of weeks. Tried again. Same result. Damn.

Got to looking at parts, replaced a couple, and finally, no. Same damn thing. I was crushed, beaten down, feeling like I had to go back to my wife and recant every time that I proclaimed to her "See, if it wasn't for the Math, I could have been an engineer!"

I sulked for a few more weeks then came around to the fact that I needed help from a professional. This professional, in fact. I had tried seeking the advice from this professional and I'm sure I'm not the only one, and he could quite give me a timely response. I still respect Dan and the work he's done to help the DIYer. However, having Bill come out (I even had my wife make the appointment) and check out my door was one of the best decisions. He didn't judge me (out loud at least), told me what I did wrong, told me how to do it right the next time (if I could have hidden the second door--yeah, that's right, I have another one sitting in the garage just mocking me waiting to be installed), and offered his help if I run into anymore problems.

Some times you just have suck it up. Thanks, b for standing by me.

No comments:

Post a Comment